First documented in 1093 by the Count Palatinate Heinrich, in connection with the Abbey Foundation of Maria Laach.
The first lord of the castle was Volcodus de Bruhle.
In his coat-of-arms he had 14 red balls on a golden background.
In the 15th century it was inhabited by the Archbishop of Trier.
The castle was partly destroyed by French troops in 1689.
It was rebuilt from 1712 to 1731 by Caspar Franz Edmund von Bourscheidt and his wife, Isabella Countess von Schaesberg - Kerpen.